Friday 21 June 2013

Up Helvellyn!




19th June
I knew this walk was going to take a long time so we left the cottage in Patterdale just before 8am. As I was walking up the road to Grisedale, a man with a Labrador appeared. I remembered that one of my Twitter pals lived here and had a black lab so I asked him if the dog was called Morgan and sure enough it was @helvellyn out for his morning walk.

The first part of Grisedale was really easy going as there are a few farms up through and a beautiful valley with sheep and cows grazing.

 
 
Our walk for today, it looks a little bit far
 
Out on the path now, still the same view taunting me.

 
The view back down the valley, so glad I came this way, very pretty contrast to the fells.
 
The first real pull of the day was up Dollywaggon Pike. Just before I hit the slope I met a mountain biker who passed me earlier on the road and I had caught him up pushing his bike up the track as it was too rough to ride. He was doing the same route as me and looking forward to the downhill bit. He gave up running at 71 and now at the age of 79 he was scaling Helvellyn with a bike! Mind you it's hard to beat a rock lifting Herdwick, they breed them tough up here!
 
Grisedale Tarn with my cyclist friend just visible, pushing his bike. 

 
The dogs making the steep 'steps' up to Dollywaggon pike look easy, they even had time to look at the view as I was so slow.

 
Looking back down Grisedale, nearly at the top of this first and worse climb.

 
At the top of Dollywaggon Pike, too knackered to smile by the look of it!
 
Although misty, the views were beginning to get far reaching, distant lakes and peaks beginning to emerge.
 

This was looking towards Keswick.
 
 
Striding Edge.
 
I think I'll leave this, not a safe way down for the dogs.

 
 
This is Swirral Edge in the foreground with my zigzag route down, behind. Still a long way to go.
 
 
Ullswater.
 
Us on the summit of Helvellyn. How many walkers get to see it this nice?
 
Looking down from the summit to Red Tarn being flanked by Swirral and Striding Edges.


 
 
Another view of my route down, one of those days when I can't take enough photos. Ullswater stretching out into the distance.
 
Gily taking in the view and what a view we had!
 
On our way down the zigzags into a new valley, Glenridding. Our already travelled route in the background.
 
This has to be one of the scruffiest sheep I've seen..."Moi...scruffy, this is fashion daaarrling!"
 
The dogs found a nice stream to paddle in, by now the weather had warmed up a treat and it was hot going for the dogs.
 
 
Can't believe that we walked from the distant peak, look at that blue sky!

 
Ullswater and Glenridding. Even though I enjoyed the walk, this was a very welcome sight.

 
And now I have come full circle, back on the Grisedale path, and heading back down the road to Patterdale.
 
 
Our last few yards back to the cottage, time for a nice cup of tea! 


And finally....I think I managed to actually wear them out for once.
 


1 comment:

  1. Really good Sarah, seems a lovely part of the country,glad you saw a lot of it and enjoyed it,

    ReplyDelete